1979 held at Midland, Michigan.
Champion – McArdle Pontiac-Cadillac, Midland, Michigan
Runner Up – Bob Hoffman’s Barbell Sunners, Reading, Pennsylvania
McArdle came through the losers bracket to defeat York Barbell two straight times to capture the championship. Owen “The Fog” Walford of McArdle beat Ty Stofflett in a 10 inning 1-0 game in the first final, despite Stofflett’s 19 K. Then McArdle’s Bob Ryan beat York’s Larry Bergh 3-1 in final championship game). Stofflett finished the tournament with 76 K in 45.2 innings and surrendered only 13 hits and 3 earned runs. Stofflet’s streak of 14 consecutive wins in ASA National Championship play was broken by in this tournament as he went 5-1.
Larry Potts, Wilson Powell (8-16, .500, 3 RBI).
Guanella Brothers Offense led by – Ray Allena (11-27, .407), Mike Parnow (9-27, .333, 9 RBI) and Jim March (7-21, .333).
Ty Stofflet of York Barbell beat Midland 4-1 in 13 innings to win his 14th consecutive game in ASA National play.
Owen “The Fog” Walford, McArdle Pontiac/Cadillac (4-1, pitched 10 inning 1-0 victory to get Midland to the championship). Then Bob Ryan (3-0), pitched the 3-1 finale.
Roy Burlison, O’Byrne Electric (3-1) and Graham Arnold of Peterbilt (3-2) were the only other pitchers to win at least 3 games.
- MVP – Jeff Peck, McArdle Pontiac/Cadillac (10-22, .455, 2 RBI), keyed all three rallies to give Midland the 3-1 championship final victory.
- MVP – Ted Hicks, CMI (12-19, .632)
- Batting Leader – Jim Brackin, MD Wilson Powell (8-15, 4 RBI) – .533
- Home Run Leader – N/A
- Most Outstanding Pitcher Award – Ty Stofflet, York Barbell (5-1, 46 IP, 76 K, won 5 straight until the final game, 2 one-hit Shutouts)
1. McArdle Pontiac-Cadillac, Midland, MI 7-1 (Host)
2. Bob Hoffman’s Barbell Sunners, Reading, PA (5-2) (Defending Champ)
3. Guanella Brothers, Santa Rosa, CA (6-2) (Pacific Coast)
4. Lakewood Jets, Lakewood, CA (1-2) (Pacific Coast At-Large)
5t. Southern Truck Raiders, Phoenix, AZ (3-2) (Rocky Mountain-Cactus)
5t. O’Byrne Electric, Springfield, MO (3-2) (Mid-America At-Large)
7t. Home Savings and Loan, Aurora, IL (3-2) (Mid-West)
7t. Wilson Powell, Marlow Heights, MD (3-2) (Central Atlantic)
9t. Raybestos Cardinals, Stratford, CT (2-2) (New England)
9t. Peter’s Bombers, Des Moines, IA (1-2) (Mid-America)
9t. Zeniths, Rochester, NY (2-2) (Mid-Atlantic)
9t. Peterbilt, Seattle, WA (1-2) (Northwestern)
13t. Steve’s Exporters, San Antonio, TX (1-2) (Texas)
13t. Alabama Auto Auction, Montgomery, AL (0-2) (Southern)
13t. Charlie’s Trading Post, Atlanta, GA (1-2) (South Atlantic)
13t. Made-Rite Chips, Bay City, MI (1-2) (Great Lakes At-Large)
17t. Franklin Enterprises, Memphis, TN (0-2) (Southwestern)
17t. Ohio Caverns, West Liberty, OH (0-2) (East Central)
17t. Page Brake, Salt Lake City, UT (0-2) (Rocky Mountain-Alpine)
17t. Bandbox, St. James, MN (0-2) (Northern)
17t. Wolverine Supply, Ann Arbor, MI (0-2) (Great Lakes)
17t. York Barbell, Lancaster, PA (1-2) (Central Atlantic At-Large)