1957 held at Toledo, Ohio.
Champion – Gatliff Auto Sales, Newport, Kentucky
Runner Up – McAdenville Reds, McAdenville, North Carolina
Gatliffs started out winning five straight games including the winners bracket final. Vern Roberts won the first three games, Tom Imfeld won the fourth, then Roberts came back to win the winners bracket final to make Gatliffs the only undefeated team.
McAdenville pounded out 20 hits, including 5 HR (Bill Campo, Mason Leeper, Harold Helton, Red Jenkins and Carroll Beale) while defeating Lotus Club of Pittsburgh 18-12 in the losers bracket final. Then they came back and defeated ace hurler Vern Roberts and unbeaten Gatliffs 13-10 in the first championship game.
Gatliff’s came back with Tom Imfeld pitching again and won the final game 8-4. Myron Reinhardt started off the hitting barrage with a 2-run homer in the first inning. Three straight home runs followed off the bats of Dan Heilman, Ralph Bo Stutebeck and Alex Burhart.
Reinhardt later added another home run. He finished the last game 2-3 with 2 HR, 3 RBI and 2 Runs scored.
Red Jenkins pitched all 7 games for McAdenville.
Vern Roberts finished the tournament with a 4-1 pitching record. In a word of note, Frank Matoh of Sheffield Bronze set a tournament record by hitting 4 consecutive Home Runs in one game during Sheffield’s 19-7 win over the Staten Island Stoppers of NYC.
- MVP – No MVP Awarded (Many sources say Myron Reinhardt would have won easily leading Gatliffs to the title, batting .680 and winning the HR award)
- HR Leader – Myron Reinhardt, Gatliff’s Auto Sales (17-25, .680) – 8
- Batting Leader – Phil Perlongo, 5&10 Tap (16-23) – .696
1957 ASA MEN’S OPEN SLOW PITCH ALL-AMERICAN FIRST TEAM
- P – Tom Imfeld, Gatliff’s (2-0)
- P – Ray Red Jenkins, McAdenville (5-2)
- P – Phil Perlongo, 5&10 Tap (4-2 Pitching and 16-23, .696)
- C – Joe Wooten, McAdenville (12-24, .500, 3 HR)
- C – Jim McKenzie, Lotus Club
- IF – Don Whitford, Gatliff’s
- IF – JD McDonald, McAdenville
- IF – John Henry, Gatliff’s
- IF – John Beam, McAdenville (2 HR)
- IF – Harold Helton, McAdenville – (12-22, .545, HR)
- OF – Joe Lacher, Lotus Club
- OF – Myron Reinhardt, Gatliff’s (17-25, .680, 8 HR)
- OF – Jack Moser, 5&10 Tap
- OF – Bob Fisher, Lotus Club
- MGR – Al Brausch, Gatliff’s
Vern Roberts, Gatliffs (4-1) pitching
1. Gatliff Auto Sales, Newport, KY (6-1)
2. McAdenville Reds, McAdenville, NC (6-2)
3. Lotus Club, Pittsburgh, PA (4-2)
4. 5&10 Tap, Milwaukee, WI (4-2)
5t. Westwood Merchants, Dayton, OH (4-2)
5t. Sheffield Bronze, Cleveland, OH (4-2)
7t. Viking Insurance Agency A.C., Wantagh, NY (3-2)
7t. Spot Tavern, Creighton, PA (3-2)
9t. Knoxville Police, Knoxville, TN (3-2)
9t. Cincy Mat Stoppers, Staten Island, NY (3-2)
9t. Rip’s All Stars, Detroit, MI (2-2)
9t. Macomber Inc., Canton, OH (2-2)
13t. – Neighborhood Inn, Toledo, OH (2-2)
13t. Homer’s Boys, Louisville, KY (2-2)
13t. Ethiers Café, Worcester, MA (2-2)
13t. Hill City Club, Rome, GA (2-2)
17t. Armands, Sandusky, OH (1-2)
17t. Legion Post #435, Richfield, MN (1-2)
17t. Latonia A.C., Covington, KY (1-2)
17t. Dutt’s Drug, Akron, OH (1-2)
17t. Snafu Club, Sheboygan, WI (1-2)
17t. Country Charm, Toledo, OH (0-2)
17t. Ben’s Bar, Sidney, OH (0-2)
17t. T.T. Bearings, Rochester, NY (0-2)
25t. Elks Club #295, Warren, OH (0-2)
25t. 2424 Club, Minneapolis, MN (0-2)
25t. Marion Grill, Columbus, OH (0-2)
25t. Rosmarin Reality, Cincinnati, OH (0-2)
25t. Duraflex, Buena Vista, VA (0-2)